EXCERPT FROM OVERVIEW OF QUALIFICATIONS STANDARD IN HIGHER EDUCATION
BACHELOR OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
Minimal elements of qualifications standard
1. BASIC CHARACTERISTICS
1.1 Generic + Subject specific
- Bachelor of Civil Engineering
1.2 Minimal volume
- 180 ECTS
- QF-BiH: 6
1.4 Entry routes
- Completed four years of high school
2. LEARNING OUTCOMES
2.1 Overall learning outcomes
- Observe, recognize, describe and solve professional construction problems while observing the moral principles;
- Design structures at the basic level;
- Sizing of a smaller building structures in the field of construction, hydro-construction, and building;
- Lead a minor construction project;
- Participate in the planning, designing, execution, supervision, and maintenance of major construction projects;
- Use the common computer tools for drafting of documents, presentations, making of calculations, and simulations;
- Recognize mutual relationships between designing, building and the user’s requirements.
- Prepare and conduct and experiment, and analyse and interpret the results;
- Critically evaluate the arguments, presumptions and data during decision making process, and solve professional problems in a creative manner;
- Understand the influence of building on the society and the environment;
- Communicate and exchange information and ideas about the problems pertaining to the construction business with relevant experts working in and out of the construction business;
- Cooperate with the professional groups and adjust to the requirements of the work environment;
- Understand the influence of building on the society and the environment, and have a developed moral and ethical position while solving professional problems;
- Prepare and conduct an experiment, and analyse and interpret the results;
- Independently perfect and further develop the competencies acquired during studies, as well as the possibility of active participation at the specialist professional meetings.
* NOTE: The learning outcomes should be further divided into categories of knowledge, skills and competencies.
2.2 Learning outcomes
Groups of learning outcomes; Minimal ECTS; List of learning outcomes
- Mathematics and physics (min 30 ECTS)
- Understand and apply the basic and advance notions of the analyses, algebra and numeric mathematics required for modelling and optimization, but also for solving of practical engineering problems;
- Evaluate the quality of obtained solutions, their potential for practical implementation and feasibility, as well as monitoring of their implementation;
- Describe, understand and apply the basic notions of probability and statistics and the advanced methods required for solving and describing of problems existing in the profession;
- Describe and analyse the basic laws of physics in the areas covered by the lectures, as well as apply the acquired knowledge in practice through solving of simple problems and tasks, with special accent on the contents which make the acquisition of knowledge in professional subject easier;
- Evaluate and apply the basic knowledge in spatial geometry, drafting of projections with connection of 2D and 3D representation applicable in practice;
- Describe the examples of non-methodological approaches of descriptive statistics and probability analyses; differentiate the methods for error evaluation, testing of hypothesis and similar in the field of construction practice.
- Foreign language (min 3 ECTS)
- Able to communicate (read, speak, write) in a foreign language, general and at the level of the profession.
- ICT, min. 6 ECTS
- Create independent program solutions for mathematical problems in some of the programming languages;
- Use the basic knowledge and use of software drawing packages;
- Use of computers in designing and performing of structural calculations.
- Construction theory I (min 30 ECTS)
- Differentiate and analyse the basic theoretical laws of statics and a part of mechanics, and define the longitudinal forces of the statically determined structures;
- Describe and analyse the theoretical laws in the field of kinematics and dynamics of a point and rigid body, and essential notions of the oscillation system theory with one degree of freedom;
- Comment and analyse the stress theory, strength and stability of engineering structures. Calculate and size a simple statically determined and statically undetermined structure;
- Solve various problems in the field of rigid deformable body mechanics;
- Describe the geometric stability and the rules of the kinematic stability of linear structures;
- Define, analyse, and calculate the statics of line and plate structures, as well as of walls and rocks.
- Construction structures I (min 12 ECTS)
- Differentiate and describe the basic stages of historical development of the building industry;
- Analyse and draft the parts of the main and detailed architectural design of a simple building.
- Construction materials (min 10 ECTS)
- Distinguish basic construction materials and their properties;
- Examine the properties of the construction materials;
- Design and conduct an experiment analyse and interpret the results.
- Theoretical and applied hydromechanics (min 4 ECTS)
- Comment on the stationary motion of liquid, hydraulics of open flows and underground waters;
- Make minor engineering calculations of the flow in pipelines, channels and water intake.
- Geology and geotechnics (min 6 ECTS)
- Describe the properties of soil required for the calculation;
- Make the calculation for the bearing power of the foundations, consolidation, stability of slopes, soil pressure to the support structures;
- Describe and analyses of the structure of the Earth, in particular the lithosphere, differentiate the processes and occurrences on the surface of the lithosphere, comment on the occurrence of the earthquakes, volcanoes, and orogeny;
- Description of the basic elements of the load calculation and sizing of the geotechnical structures (support wall, dike dam rocks, construction pit, excavation and fills);
- Sizing of the shallow and deep foundations
- Construction theory II (min 5 ECTS)
- Describe the dynamic properties of the structures;
- Create a dynamic calculation of simple structures in accordance with the valid Rulebook on construction of the building structures in seismic areas;
- Participate in the drafting of dynamic calculations for simple structures.
- Construction structures II (min 30 ECTS)
- Detail construction of a classic reinforced concrete structure;
- Sizing of the cross-sections exposed to bending, shearing and torsion, slender compressed members, biaxial structural slab, point support slab;
- Determine the condition of usable cracks;
- Describe the basic theoretical postulates in structures made of different materials (concrete, wood, metal and masonry);
- Sizing of the cross-sections and the connections and joints of simple structures;
- Design the systems, components or processes required for designing, taking into consideration the economy, environment, social, political, ethical, health and safety elements and sustainability.
- Communal and process water engineering (min 5 ECTS)
- Examine and evaluate the functions of water supply and sewage systems and their elements
- Select the best option during the planning, designing, construction and management process of water supply and sewage systems and their functional elements.
- Water engineering structures and plants (min 4 ECTS)
- Evaluate and examine the basic functions of water engineering structures, basic accompanying processes and use the basic methods while designing and construction of water engineering structures.
- Hydrology and water management (min 4 ECTS)
- Examine and analyse the components of the hydrology cycle
- Apply the mathematical and statistical methods for solving of engineering and hydrology problems.
- Create the elementary hydrology calculations in water engineering.
- Roads (min 3 ECTS)
- Describe, analyse and argument the procedures of designing and building of railroads.
- Classify the basic elements of the railroads, as well as the modes of planning, designing and maintenance.
- Create a design for a road outside the populated area up to the level of the detail design with thorough understanding of the conditions for the selection of optimal elements (geometry, alignment).
- Geodesy (min 3 ECTS)
- Differentiate and use plans and maps
- Perform the basic geodetic activities such as measuring of angles and detail leveling.
- Organisation of the building (min 4 ECTS)
- Differentiate the essential principles and methods of organisation, planning and management, as well as the execution of construction projects.
- Comment on the legal regulations pertaining to the execution and contracting of the construction projects.
- Draft and amend the building organisation design and plans in practice.
- Economy and law (min 3 ECTS)
- Describe and define: the market principles, laws of supply and demand, economic organisation of the company, entrepreneurship.
- Differentiate the expenses, analyse the business results in production and determine the benchmarks for measuring of the success of the business.
- Expanding the knowledge required for understanding of the influences of engineering solutions to the global, economic, social and the environment.
- Professional practice (min 3 ECTS)
- Describe, analyse and critically evaluate the possibility of solving a specific practical problem.
- Communicate and work within a multidisciplinary team
- Confirm professional and ethical responsibility
- Recognize the need for lifelong learning
3.1 Labour market
- Working position of the site engineer,
- Associate designer at an engineering bureau,
- Professional consultant within the statutory authorities (urban planning, inspection),
- Professor at the construction or architectural high school (against successful passing of the pedagogy courses)
3.2 Further education
- Further education at the second cycle for an adequate profile
3.3 Other needs
4. QUALITY ASSURANCE
4.1 Expert Group Members
- Univesity of Eastern Sarajevo: prof. dr Mitar Perušić
- Univesity of Eastern Sarajevo: prof. dr Goran Tadić
- University of Bihać: prof. dr Ifet Šišić
- University of Banja Luka: mr. Bojana Grujić
- University Džemal Bijedić Mostar: prof. dr Dragi Tiro
- University of Sarajevo: doc. dr Naida Ademović
- University of Tuzla: prof. dr. Sandira Eljšan
- University of Tuzla: prof. dr. Suad Halilčević
- University of Zenica: prof. dr Edin Berberović
- University Džemal Bijedić Mostar: prof. dr Vahida Žujo
- UNBI: prof. dr Atif Hodžić
* During the drafting of the qualification standards, a comparison was made with the universities in the region: Zagreb, Belgrade, Vienna as well as the University of Kentucky, Department Engineering, USA
* Criteria for the institution awarding the qualification:
The Institution has to meet all the conditions prescribed by the Law on Higher Education, as well as the norms and standards.
4.2 Proponent of the qualifications standard and the date
4.3 The competent institution(s) and the link to the Sector Council expert opinion
4.4 The date of entry into the web-portal
4.5 The deadline by which the QS should be reviewed