EXCERPT FROM OVERVIEW OF QUALIFICATIONS STANDARD IN HIGHER EDUCATION
MSEdu ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE
Minimal elements of qualifications standard
1. BASIC CHARACTERISTICS
1.1 Title(s) of the qualification (Generic + Subject specific)
- MSEdu English language and literature
1.2 Minimal volume
- 60 ECTS (total 300 ECTS with the 1st cycle)
- QF-BiH: 7
1.4 Entry routes
- Completed 1st cycle of studies in the field of English language and literature or related equivalent studies (240 ECTS)
2. LEARNING OUTCOMES
2.1 Overall learning outcomes
- Knowledge of background theories for learning and teaching English as a foreign language, teaching principles and underlying linguistic and cognitive theories, in particular the theory of second-language acquisition;
- Knowledge of literature, culture and civilization of the English-speaking countries;
- Ability to apply the most important methods and procedures in teaching children, youth and adults, with special focus on communication approach and innovative forms of learning and teaching;
- Ability to evaluate textbooks, make their own teaching materials, apply new media; familiar with research techniques in view of learning and teaching English language, literature and culture;
- Relevant knowledge of social sciences, psychology, pedagogy and didactics required to professionally and critically reflect on the process of learning and teaching of a foreign language and literature and act independently and creatively.
* NOTE: The learning outcomes should be further divided into categories of knowledge, skills and competencies.
2.2 Learning outcomes
Groups of learning outcomes; Minimal ECTS; List of learning outcomes
- Learning outcomes in linguistic and literature courses (10 ECTS)
- Analyse complex linguistic notions, from basic linguistic disciplines to specific, like discourse analyses;
- Interpret and linguistically analyse certain complex aspects of language use;
- Write more demanding text independently, from longer essays to literary analyses;
- Analyse and perform critical analyses of different works of literature;
- Analyse different periods in the history of English language.
- Learning outcomes in the educational and pedagogy and methodology group (Acquisition of the second and foreign language, glotodidactics, English language and literature teaching methodology, school practice, general pedagogy, psychology in education) (30 ECTS)
- Independently analyse the areas of English language and literature teaching;
- Being familiar with and able to critically evaluate the basics of didactic and methodological learning and teaching theory;
- Design, prepare and organise the classes for students of different age and physical and psychological background;
- Implementation of various methods and teaching processes;
- Solving of complex teaching problems in new and unknown environments within a wider (or interdisciplinary) context in relation with the field of English language and literature teaching;
- Drafting of one’s own teaching materials adjusted to different groups formed based on the age and capabilities of the students;
- Being familiar with and able to critically evaluate the basic principles of English language acquisition;
- Critically evaluate and select adequate ideas for English language, literature, and culture teaching;
- Generic learning outcomes (upbringing and education philosophy, Information and communication technology, IT used in education, Scientific methodology) (10 ECTS)
- Apply the ideas for research in the area of English language and literature teaching;
- Independent use of various methodologies for examination and research of
- English language and literature teaching, in particular by following the tendencies pertaining to the use of IT in the classroom;
- Independent use of various methodologies research in the field of English language and literature teaching;
- Prepare, conduct, process the data and present the research on a selected aspect of English language and literature teaching.
- Solve complex research problems;
- Skillfully investigate problems in the English language and literature teaching process, both independently and as part of a team;
- Present one’s conclusions, knowledge and thoughts on which they are based, with the use of adequate language, to a non-specialized and specialized audience, in a clear and concise manner;
- Skillful use of computers, i.e. data processing software, word processing tools, tools for making of presentations for the purpose of data processing and presenting of results;
- Learn about innovations in teaching, both independently or as part of a team
- Continue the studies in the manner which would primarily be self-guided and autonomous;
- Skillful use of computers for data processing purposes;
- Respecting and developing of professional ethics;
- Engage in team work adjusted to different learning and employment contexts, and guiding and/or initiating and giving one’s contribution to the change and development of English language and literature teaching.
- Final (master) paper (10 ECTS)
- Identify a research problem in the English language and literature teaching process;
- Analyse the available relevant literature;
- Conduct empirical investigations;
- Write a paper in accordance with the standards for academic writing;
- Present and defend the paper in public.
NOTE: All ECTS credits have been associated with the learning outcome units based on the experiential similarities with the universities in Bosnia and Herzegovina, not based on some valid and binding documents that regulate the volume of ECTS credits according to the learning outcome units!
3.1 Labour market
- Upon the completion of the second cycle, the students shall be ready to conduct a teaching process at different levels of education: (preschool, primary school, high school and higher education). Potential professions: English language teacher in preschool and primary schools; English language teacher in high school; English language teacher in private schools; assistants at the institutions of higher education; translators at the State-owned and private institutions, non-governmental organisations, domestic and foreign agencies, etc.
3.2 Further education
- Further education on the third cycle of interdisciplinary studies in the field of anglistics and linguistic methodology.
3.3 Other needs
- Raising the level of knowledge of English language and literature in the entire society (in the light of integration and globalization processes).
4. QUALITY ASSURANCE
4.1 Expert Group Members
- Edina Špago Ćumurija – University Džemal Bijedić Mostar
- Samra Međedović – University Džemal Bijedić Mostar
- Marijana Sivrić – University of Mostar
- Ivan Madžar – University of Mostar
- Vanes Mešić – University of Sarajevo
- Draženko Jorgić – University of Banja Luka
- Svetlana Mitić – University of Banja Luka
- Alma Dizdarević – University of Tuzla
- Selma Porobić – University of Tuzla
- Nevzet Veladžić – University of Bihać
- Haris Muhić – World University Service Bosnia and Herzegovina
4.2 Proponent of the qualifications standard and the date
4.3 The competent institution(s) and the link to the Sector Council expert opinion
4.4 The date of entry into the web-portal
4.5 The deadline by which the QS should be reviewed